No it's not the same. But it's as delicious as you could think. And you can totally do it on your own. Vegan or not, it's up to you.
What do you need?
- About 1/4 cup of pudding. I like vanilla, but you can fill it with any pudding you like. I made the pudding on my own with soy milk to keep it vegan.
- 1 sheet of puff pastry. You can buy it already made, or do the big work all on your own. I'm lazy, so I took the first option ;)
- 1 mid-size bowl and a little shot glass to get the hole in the dough and make the things round.
- A fryer or a Wok to fry the goods. Use enough oil. The Ryodo must swim completely in the water not touching the ground.
- Powdered sugar.
- Whipped cream to put on top. I used Soy whipped cream. You can also use the rest of the pudding instead.
Take 1 layer, put the pudding on it carefully to avoid pudding touching the outside dough. Do not use too much. Put another layer on top, press the edges together to seal the pudding inside. Repeat this with the next layer.
The Ryodo recipe is open-source. You can modify it at your will. It's under the Creative Commons License BY.